Sunday, July 15, 2012

Mmmmmmm Mangoes:-)




I dont have a favourite fruit. I like apples, grapes, pineapples and the occasional banana but mangoes are most certainly something else. Earlier, I used to grudgingly go through the fruit counter at our local supermarket in Singapore, knowing fully well that though they would have fruits from all over the world, they just wouldnt have the humble mango. And I've been proven right many a time.

This year, since I was in India I decided what the heck.. make up for all those years of smacking my lips at the thought of a juicy mango but having to do make do with some other fruit instead. And so it was with a huge smile on my face that I went to do some mango shopping recently. What I wasn't prepared for was the huge variety of that golden coloured fruit that seriously had me perplexed. From apoos to sindhuri to the small native kind, each variety has its own individual flavour, size and colour. I've been having plenty of fun trying out all the varieties available but so far apoos wins hands down.

I love my mangoes cold and as ripe as possible, yes even to the point where it isnt a piece anymore but a mushy slush. In my house, if there's anything tasty to eat, I first have to make sure my mum isnt around. Although I have to say that as far as the mango is concerned, my sister clearly proves that she's moms daughter! Usually the scenario goes something like this: ' Does anybody want a mango' I ask. ' No, mangoes give pimples' is what my mom and sister say. ' Well, ok then, here goes'. Thats when I sit down at our kitchen table looking at the cold sweet mango like one bite is going to take me straight to heaven. And just when I have cut a small piece and I close my eyes to relish every single bit of flavour, my mom has taken advantage of my weak moment and has cut herself a huge piece. And if you think my sister is any better, let me tell you that you are so wrong. In the end, my tummy may be satisfied but my soul simply isnt. And yes, I also wonder why the heck dont people say they want some mango when I asked in the first place??

I can think of so many rainy nights when a sexy mango would keep me company. How luscious and perfect it would look on the outside. And then I would cut it open to find that it had black fungus of some sort or had already become spoilt. I've chucked away probably 20 such mangoes ever since they were in season and while I should have learnt my lesson and looked the other way whenever I passed the fruit shop, I never learnt my lesson. Fortunately. So, dicing a mango I find is something like a lottery ticket or like Forrest Gump's mama once said- ' You never know what you're gonna get!'.

I was so thrilled to know that my child who hates 'vegebles' and fruits actually loved mango. And I was secretly thrilled that I could introduce him to this fantastic fruit. I even ventured to make some mango milkshake and a yummy mango vanilla pudding which was just divine. But, I think that the king of fruits tastes just fine on its own, which is why I dont think it needs any extra frills like milk, sugar or flour to keep it company.

And talking about my kid. He is getting so good at smiling and lying his way through, that I need some quick classes in how to handle 21st century kids. He has this habit of biting his nails and the last time I caught him in the act, he merely smiled and said that his tooth was coming loose. His charm seems to work for all the wrong reasons on my dad too. Considering that dad is so proud of our mini garden, I was sure my kid would be in the firing line if dad spotted him pulling down a few leaves with his umbrella. But no, my little boy managed just fine on his own. He turned around and told dad that the leaves were actually drinking water from his umbrella!! Dad smiles, shakes his head, and my kid wins hands down. 

Sigh! Why didn't I think of any of that when I was his age??

2 comments:

Divya Kudua said...

First things first-apoos and alphonso(it is not alphonsa;)are the same.Clearly shows you only love mangoes and have no clue about their names,hehe.Living with a Mango expert for the last 10 years have given me some insight into identifying mangoes by their looks,cool no!

I too don't bother to cook/bake something with mangoes these days.Enjoy them as is..YUM!!

SaNjAnA said...

Aiyo!!! I didnt even know that da..silly me!! And to think that I would actually ask the fruit guy= Chetan, inne alphonso illey?' and he would be like' illa, madam, apoos ollu'. Guy is as clueless about the varieties as me!! But I guess as long as mango lovers like me keep going back to him, thats all he cares about!!