Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Thoughts from Home

I'm weird. When I was in Singapore, I dreamed about getting away from the drudgery of house work and being with other adults other than my husband. Now that I am here away from my little flat, I find that its the only thing I think about all the time. Are my flowers ok, are my fishes alright, is the flat neat and tidy or is the kitchen a mess? I have a clear idea about how the place should look and I get so upset and irritated when something is out of place. But still Monica remains the more extreme character! How I wish I could snap my fingers and the flat would get magically clean on its own. I would have enough time for all the little things , that I miss doing so much.


I read a magazine once where it stressed the importance of having a life map in place. The focus should be equally placed on where you want to go in your career and also the levels you would like to reach in your relationships. I have been toying around with the idea of making one for a long time now, and perhaps someday I will when kiddo is not around. The idea of a life map fits in perfectly for someone who likes everything planned like me. Just what surprises life may instead have in store is a different thing altogether.


Everything at home still is much the same... Mom is still the one who says no to just about anything ( Ma can we have ice cream- NOOO. silence. after 2 minutes. Ma, can we have some ice cream?  I thought I said no??. ok. But we're taking some anyways..imagine my sister and me sitting with a whole pack of ice cream while mom shakes her head complaining about this generation and the two brats that she has raised!) Dad, who secretly loves getting surprise gifts, still puts on a small act when he gets one( Oh you didnt have to buy it..ohhhh, you shouldnt spend so much...)Nikki will still ask after she gets her huge bag of gifts- is this all? I thought you would get me this and that! She is so good at getting her way. My poor kid says the word pizza, because there's a pic of a pizza slice in one of his books. To him anything in a particular shape is a pizza- a slice of bread, a chappathi or even a samosa. To which my cunning little sister says- ' See, akka we should really order a pizza. Poor kuttu keeps saying pizza pizza all day'. Point proven. I know just how much pizza my kid will eat if i do order one. He will most likely admire the shape, take a nibble and then be off somewhere.. I wonder how many other poor sisters like me are being blackmailed into increasing the  profits of Dominoes? But despite my rant, I actually like buying these little things for my sister. Its always nice to be pampered, no matter what age you are, and even better when the purchase in question is on the expensive side!


Its so sweet to see how my little kid adores his young little aunt. His face lights up when he sees her and he gives her atleast ten hugs and kisses a day. The way he clings to her legs is so cute. It reminds me of how Nikki used to behave when she would see me come home after college. There's something so innocent about the way a child loves you- there's no pretense, no judgments made, just pure love. That must be why the saints and other holy people keep telling people to show love the way a child does. Love seriously gets harder as you grow up. 



1 comment:

Divya Kudua said...

So good to read about your home and sis:).I can picture yourself relaxing away to glory:)