Friday, March 12, 2010

Home Tidbits- Back to where I belong

The journey from Singapore to Cochin this time is one I really want to forget. My little brat has a very clear policy- If he cant get sleep, then NOBODY else on the flight is going to either! So, between smiling at the pretty air hostesses( now why cant they have some eye candy for us women up in the air too??) and screaming as loudly as he could in spite of having his own seat, he found time to drop a chilled glass of orange juice on the person sitting next to him. In between while I was gobbling down my dinner ( yes, keeping up with a kid really burns up calories), he very neatly flicked the little bottle of water from the same passenger's tray table. Thinking that poor guy had gone through enough already, I got up and went to the last row. Throughout the flight, I ended up standing and trying to rock my kid to sleep. When I got off the plane, my left arm was sore and swollen. And my kid? he royally forgot me the minute he saw my sister and parents. So much for a thank you!

There's something nice about being home after a long time. To me 6-7months is long. Its great to step into my room, which I insisted would continue to look like a teenager's room, than that of a girl who was married and now a mother. In a way, I wanted to keep in touch with that part of me before marriage and hold on to things that I cherished over the years. So many little precious things make up my room- little presents from friends, my first cuddly toy which was a monkey, my collection of birthday cards and my book case stand which is stuffed with books. I am most proud of my medals in public speaking, singing and debates. They make me feel like I did something right in school and college. I have this huge collection of books which I hope only gets bigger with time. Mom always tells me to stop buying books, but as writer I always feel I can never have enough. I just dont know where the next inspiration is going to come from. I read Anne Frank;s diary and wrote my personal favourite poem- At Auschwitz. To me that poem marks the beginning of a certain maturity and clarity of thought which I feel was missing for so long. 

I love baking and home is one place where I have 3 other willing tasters. Of course, its been ages since I made a cake from scratch, but I remember it being worth all the trouble.. For me of late, I turn to the other woman who has made baking a cake as easy as 1-2-3 and her name is Betty Crocker. I prefer her range of cake mixes to Pillsbury and every other brand under the sun. Trust me I have tried many of them too. Somehow Betty's mixes really give you a cake that's not just fluffy and smells great, but one that is really moist and which melts in the mouth. Of course I come from a family that loves food. Which also means that every time I make something yummy, I pay the price in a way. Mom tells me that one of my secret vendetta is to make it impossible for her to lose any weight at all. I dont deny that our war of who loses more weight has been going on for so long now, but honestly, I love feeding people and it makes me really sad when they dont eat what I have laboured to make. 

So, on the list are more specials of mine- chicken cheese pie, a cheese cake dessert, home made pizza and maybe a payasam.which dad loves...In a way, getting burnt in the heat makes me smile... its always good to be home.. 



1 comment:

Suraj John said...

nice one sanju
suraj